I have changed. I have grown. Of course we change: the political ideologies and worldview we grow up with change as we experience life and meet new and wonderful people. If we don’t grow, or we don’t change, we stop living. I am not done living.
Because I no longer agree with the foundations of the Republican party does not mean I am suddenly what some would call a flaming liberal or a libtard (childish phrases when used by an adult are just indicating that adult’s lack of maturity). It means two things: 1. I have seen more that has made me rethink the blind faith I once had in a party that was handed to me because I grew up in the South. 2. The party has changed.
I now live in an area where I can actually see the affects of climate change, so my once critical and minimizing view of the issue has changed.
Because I now live in an area where gas & mineral companies want to exploit the land, leaving it marked with scars and the air less clean, my views on the environment have changed.
Because I have met people who are members of the LGBTQ community, and have gotten to know these people, my compassion for people who may be *different* than me has grown.
Because I know and adore people of color, who have impacted my life immensely, my capacity to open my perspective to the struggles of a marginalized community has changed.
Because I walked through a divorce, my capacity to sit with people in rough times has changed.
Because I am a parent, I now can now better understand why my parents did things. And I can sit with my moms-of-boys friends with our heads in our hands and wonder WHY little boys do the things they do!!!
These are not bad things. Because I believe and vote differently than you does not make me better or you better. I have grown on my journey. We all have different opinions and worldviews than we did at 20. Those of us who have had longer journeys, have had more opportunity for growth. My parents are in their 70s. I’m sure where they stood on an issue when they were 20, in the 60’s is different than it is now.
If what I write or say challenges you, fine. It’s not because I am trying to put you down, it’s because I am sharing me. Take it as a compliment. And if it pushes a button, if it feels weird, ask yourself why? Are you holding on to something that you may not need to hold on to? Is there something you can challenge me with? Challenge away, but for the love, do so respectfully.
We grow and we learn. To quote Albert Einstein, “Once you stop learning, you start dying.”
No comments:
Post a Comment