I love being a mama. Man, do I love my kid. He is bright and
energetic; compassionate and kind; thoughtful and silly. Yes, I am completely biased. I remember hearing my friends who had kids
when I didn’t, repeat things their kids would say and think how profound it
was. Since becoming Mama I have heard my
fair share of these pop out of my child’s mouth, but this week it sent chills
up my arms.
I had read Genesis 1 recently and
God had given it new light, reminding me that He makes beauty out of chaos and
that even in the longest, most restless of nights, He is still working. That’s been churning in my heart ever since. Verse 3 however, continued to roll around in
my heart as well. “Then God said, ‘Let
there be light; and there was light.’” It just kept sitting with me.
Yesterday, my son, almost 8,
started a new devotional book called Indescribable. Day 1 is entitled “A
Blank Page” and quotes Genesis 1:1-3.
This same day I had read Matthew 5:14 where Jesus tells us “You are the
light of the world. A city on a hill
cannot be hidden.” My son’s response: “So
God created an army of lights.”
An army of lights is exactly what
He created and called us to be. He called us to be light in a dark world. He
has called us to love, unconditionally, those around us. He called us to let our light shine.
So here is my question to myself
and to us: Are we being the light we’re
made to be? Or are we too caught up in
what things are supposed to look like, fitting in neat little boxes, to be that
light? Are we too concerned with being comfortable
to do what is better for all of us?
We are called to be exactly what my observant little man said: an army
of lights. This light is driven by love. From a song I sang in a choir over 20 years
ago: “Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is humble, all of the time; not
easily angered. Enduring the test. So never forget: Love is the more excellent
way.” (Babbie Mason, “Love is the More Excellent Way”). If our actions can’t be tied to loving others,
something is missing, and maybe we need to rethink it all. Afterall, God created an army of lights.
No comments:
Post a Comment